Our Findings and Recommendations for John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
In response to a request from John Jay’s leadership, from January to June of 2019, a team led by Working IDEAL conducted a Campus Climate Review at John Jay College.
Our review had two components:
- Enhance understanding of the college’s climate specifically related to diversity and inclusion, efforts to prevent harassment and misconduct,
- Enforce policies against discrimination and sexual misconduct; Develop recommendations to: fur ther strengthen processes for addressing misconduct (beyond simply meeting legal requirements); and continue to improve and expand the College’s use of holistic harassment prevention strategies, including training.
This report contains the Climate Review team’s findings and recommendations, based on:
- Reviewing College policy and governance documents, as well as prior reports and surveys related to campus climate and diversity,
- Gathering feedback from students, staff and faculty through in-person conversations and paper and online questionnaires,
- Conducting onsite observation.
The Climate Review identifies John Jay’s strengths, assesses key challenges, and provides recommendations for how John Jay can seize opportunities to further improve its climate.
- Shared Values and Belonging
- Respectful Learning and Working Environments
- Expanding and Coordinating Resources for Reporting and Response
- Communication and Transparency
- Leadership Development, Strategic Capacity and Support
- Training and Other Resources for Holistic Prevention
The IDEAL Workplace
Working IDEAL provides trusted, effective and innovative advice on inclusive workplaces, diverse talent and fair pay to large and small companies, universities, non-profits, unions and other organizations across the nation.
1875 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20009